Friday, October 17, 2008

Roast Pork


Ahhhhh.....siew yoke (Cantonese for roast pork) is really one of my favourite pork dish. I just love the texture (of fat and thin meat) and the crunchiness of the crust. After consulting many recipes, I decided to go ahead and put them all to good use. Let's see how my "siew yoke" turned out.

Step 1- Prepare 3 long slices of pork belly. Washed and dried. Just rub with some salt, pepper and five spice powder. Dry the surface of the skin and take a knife to slice XXX on the surface. My knide was not sharp enough so you can't really see the creases.


Step 2 - Place in oven. Make sure you have a pan at the bottom as the oil or lard from the pork belly would trickle down. As usual, since it is only 3 pieces, I am using my multi friendly oven toaster. Roast at 350'F.

Steps 3 - After baking for about 30 minutes, I took the meat out. The top skin layer is not ready yet. To add additional crisp and crunch, this is what I did. In a pan, I heat up some oil. Then I put the meat in, skin layer facing down. Fry for 10 minutes. You may want to protect yourself incase the oil splashes out.



Step 4 - This is how ths skin looks. It is now crispy and yummy. I put it back into the oven for another 5 minutes.

Step 5 - Chop, Chop Chop....Voila! Ready to eat! And savour the juicy meat with a crispy crunchy topping.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The roast pork looks yummy! :)

Anonymous said...

Irene - Thanks. It does look yummy doesn't it.

SteamyKitchen said...

can't believe you made it! yay - love siew yoke.

Unknown said...

Hello.. I love how you made your siew yoke.. simply lovely. Thanks for sharing :D

mysimplefood said...

SteamyKitchen - my siew yoke is still rather amateurish...will keep on trying.

yozoranitesky - try it! it's easy.